Sunday, May 27, 2007

Summer plans

This is somewhat late compared to my last end of term post. The spring term for Pitt is over. Long over in fact. Except for the paper on the Tractatus that I am slowly finishing, but I hope to have that done by mid-June. Summer has started. I'm going to be in Pittsburgh for most of the summer taking an intensive German class. I am doing a reading group with a few other grad students. It is a very Pittsburgh reading group. We are reading both Brandom's Articulating Reasons and McDowell's Mind and World, starting with the former. We're dong chapter three this week. I hope to have a few posts based on the readings, starting with something on harmony once I get my copy of the book back. Next weekend is the formal epistemology workshop at CMU. I will be attending at least a few of the sessions. Apart from that, I am hoping to read some more logic stuff (topics: inference, algebraic logic, computability, relevance logic), maybe some philosophy of language stuff (topics: no clue...), and write up a few posts I've had on the backburner about Prawitz, Marconi, and some more things I learned at the UT Austin conference (so educational!). That's the plan. I think it might be a bit much.

2 comments:

N. N. said...

What's your Tractatus paper about, if you don't mind my asking?

Didn't you say that Thomas Ricketts was teaching the course?

Shawn said...

Whoops, I just realized I hadn't responded to this comment. I had meant to do that the day I read it.

Yes, Tom Ricketts did teach the class. My sympathy to the New Wittgensteinian reading is probably partly due to that, although I did read Hacker's Insight and Illusion as a counterbalance. Tom also assigned a few of Hacker's responses to some of the New Wittgensteinian articles.

I don't mind at all. My paper is, broadly, on the philosophy of logic in the Tractatus. In particular, it is about Wittgenstein's views on logical constants, logical consequence and proof. Although, I am approaching it in somewhat an odd way. There is a paper by Ian Hacking that attributes a few ideas to the Tractatus and uses those ideas for a completely foreign purpose. I'm using that as my starting point, since it provides a way into an interesting cluster of issues (unconventional though it may be) that also connects up to some of my other interests in logic.