Thursday, January 11, 2007

A note on Kantian inference

At the start of the Analytic, Kant says that in general logic, reason is the division of the higher faculties of cognition that deals with inference. This does not carry over to transcendental logic since the transcendental use of reason is not valid according to Kant. I'm not sure how this plays out, but it is worth noting that Kant ties the operation of reason to making inferences. I'd like to know more of what Kant says on inference, but there doesn't seem to be any one place in the Critique (or the Logic or the Prologomena) that he discusses inference in detail.

2 comments:

Ole Thomassen Hjortland said...

Although I haven't read that part myself, I know that MacFarlane's dissertation has a chapter on Kant and logic.

If you haven't already got it, you can fint it here: http://sophos.berkeley.edu/macfarlane/Diss.pdf

Shawn said...

Hi Ole,
MacFarlane's dissertation is something I've been meaning to look at for a while. Last semester Brandom recommended reading it as a companion to Etchemendy's Concept of Logical Consequence. I'll try to give it a read through, at least the Kant sections to see if there is anything relevant that could flesh out the little note I posted.